BABY K'TAN BUYING GUIDE
How do the Original, Breeze & Active carriers differ?
|100% jersey knit cotton (similar to a t-shirt) with a unique one-way stretch. This all natural cotton fabric offers a soft and cozy carrier for parent and baby.
|Made of 100% cotton - with jersey knit cotton on one half of the loops and a unique cotton-mesh on the other half of the loops. This cotton-mesh construction allows for added airflow when compared to the Baby K'tan ORIGINAL.
|Made of a 100% polyester hi-tech performance fabric (similar to a sports shirt). This material provides a unique temperature control, is breathable, quick-dry, wicks away sweat and moisture and blocks over 90% UVA and UVB rays. Excellent for summer or outdoor use.
For instructions on how to carry your baby in different positions using the Baby K'tan, watch the playlist below:
Frequently asked questions for Baby K'tan:
What's the difference between the K'tan and a wrap?
- The design! Wraps are made of one long piece of fabric while the Baby K'tan has a patented double-loop design. This allows you to wear the K'tan without any wrapping, while still providing the positions and benefits of a wrap! Here's a quick video comparison between the two.
What is the age/weight limit of the Baby K'tan?
- The Baby K'tan is recommended for use with babies weighing 8-35lbs. (consult your pediatrician for use with preemies). Be sure to follow all instructions and safety tips when wearing your baby in the Baby K'tan.
What size Baby K’tan Baby Carrier should I buy?
- The Baby K’tan is offered in sizes XS, S, M, L and XL. Sizing is based on your pre-pregnancy fitted dress size (or jacket size for men). Please refer to our sizing calculator to determine your size. If you are in-between sizes, we recommend choosing the smaller size.
I am a plus-size mom. Will the Baby K'tan fit me?
- Yes! The Baby K'tan is sized to fit the wearer and we have sizes ranging up to Women's size 22 and Men's Suit Size 50.
Can my partner and I share the same size?
- The Baby K’tan is meant to be fitted, like a “snug” t-shirt and a personal item of clothing. Two people can share if they are the same size; however if one size will fit your partner and another would fit you, we recommend that you each purchase your own size in order to have a secure nd comfortable fit.
Is the Baby K’tan Baby Carrier adjustable?
- The Baby K'tan is a sized item and does not have any buckles, snaps or rings that need to be adjusted. When the correct size is purchased, the Baby K'tan will fit the wearer securely.
Can I breastfeed in the Baby K'tan?
- Yes! See Breastfeeding Tips for details.
Can I carry twins at the same time?
- New CPSC baby carrier standards state that baby carriers should only be used for one infant at a time. The Baby K’tan has been used successfully for carrying twins in the past; however, we no longer list these positions.
How do I wash and dry my Baby K’tan Baby Carrier?
- Our carriers are made of soft fabrics (no buckles or snaps) and are machine washable and dryer safe. Care Instructions: Machine wash cold, with like colors only. Non-chlorine bleach when needed. Tumble dry low. Wash separately before first use.
Will my Baby K’tan Baby Carrier shrink after washing?
- The Baby K’tan Baby Carrier is designed to stretch with use and tighten up in the wash. Accordingly, the carrier may feel a bit snug after washing; however, the cross stretch of the fabric enables the K'tan to stretch back out. If your carrier feels a bit snug after washing, this wearing tips video may be helpful.
Is the Baby K’tan Carrier comfortable for my back?
- Yes! The patented double-loop design of the Baby K’tan distributes baby’s weight evenly across your shoulders and back, and the back-support band helps the wearer to adjust and center the loops of the carrier. The wide fabric can be spread over your shoulders to further distribute baby’s weight and the included sash can be tied around you and baby for added support.
Is the Baby K'tan good for my baby's hips?
- Yes, the Baby K'tan offers ergonomic positions that promote healthy infant development. The wide fabric can be spread open to create an ergnomic and comfortable seat, with baby's legs in an "M" position (fabric reaching the bend in baby's knees, with knees at or above the level of baby's bottom). Once baby's muscles are more developed (6 months or so), you can also wear your baby in the forward facing Adventure position. Be sure to follow the same "M" position tips described above.
Is babywearing good for my baby?
- Absolutely! Babies enter the world with fragile, easily over-stimulated nervous systems. Infants that are carried in slings, wraps and baby carriers experience the stimulating sounds, sights and smells that their parent experiences, while at the same time being securely swaddled, providing safety and assurance to the infant. Baby carriers offer a gentle way of transitioning your baby from the calm environment of the womb to the busy outside world. Before using any baby carrier, sling or wrap always make sure you consult your pediatrician regarding any health complications your infant may be experiencing. The Baby K’tan Baby Carrier has been endorsed by several medical professionals.
Can I wear my special needs child in the K'tan?
- Yes, you can. Children with developmental delays and special needs benefit from being carried close to the wearer, especially during the infant stage. The Baby K’tan creates the ideal environment for development and growth. At the same time, it offers infants a tight swaddled, deep pressure input, providing security and assurance to infants with sensory integration dysfunction and other developmental disorders such as Autism and Cerebral Palsy. Studies have also shown that infants with hypotonia (low muscle tone) are adversely affected by baby carriers that place their legs in excessive abduction (legs spread too far apart) before their muscles are fully developed. With the Baby K’tan Baby Carrier, there is a position where babies can still face forward and see the world while having their legs in a more developmentally appropriate posture. The Baby K'tan carrier was also developed by two couples trying to find the best babywearing solution for their children with special needs. Read more about it here.
Is the Baby K’tan Baby Carrier safe?
- Our Baby Carrier is tested for quality and safety under FHSA (Federal Hazardous Substances Act) and ASTM (American Society for Testing and Materials) guidelines. Read and follow all instructions and warnings before use.